April 28, 2005

Why I Spent $10.50 To See Fever Pitch

Jimmy Fallon was supposed to be reading my book in bed at the beginning of one scene (#91, actually), right after the "fingers-in-my-ears-so-I-don't-hear-the-Red-Sox-score" scene with Drew Barrymore's parents. ... That scene didn't make the final cut. Boo.

However, I did see the book twice: (1) across the room on Fallon's night table early in the movie and (2) on his dresser in the scene after Barrymore calls him from Paris saying she is not pregnant (the book is in the lower left of the screen, though you can't read the actual words on the cover).

What else can I tell you?

FP is a formulaic romantic comedy. I chuckled at two or three of the lines, but I'll be damned if I can remember them now. Fenway Park is one of the most beautiful places on Earth, and seeing game footage from non-traditional angles was cool. The game that prompts the main characters' relationship crisis didn't actually happen, which was bad, because there is a fair amount of actual 2004 game footage in the movie. (Of course, only certifiable Red Sox fans would notice.)

Couldn't one of the season-ticket-holding fans have said that the Curse is bullshit, since most serious Red Sox fans believe that? Barrymore's character has a really cute dog, but she has a non-stop work schedule, so who walks it?

My advice? Wait for the DVD.

7 comments:

Mike said...

Allen, maybe your deleted scene will be one of the extras on the DVD!!! That would be cool.

Anonymous said...

$10.50? That's quite expensive. My guess is that you probably went to the theater at Boston Common (assuming you live in Boston).

allan said...

DVD Extras = Netflix.

Actually, I live in Manhattan. I hardly ever go to the movies, but that's what they charge. I went to the Lincoln Center theater at West 66th Street.

Anonymous said...

Ah, the original (Nick Hornby's book and the movie that came from it) was better anyway.

allan said...

I read the book a few years ago. This movie really has nothing to do with the book, if you ask me. Also, the original film is in my Netflix queue.

One of the reasons I stopped going to movies (years ago) was because of people bringing in dinner -- several noisy containers of take-out food -- and just sitting, eating and talking.

So what do I see for sale at the counter yesterday? Plates of nachos, chicken fingers, all sorts of shit. I was surprised the chairs in the theater didn't have tray tables like on airplanes.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if it will be DVD or the dollar theater, but I do know I am destined to see that movie. I started dating my girlfriend at about the time the world series started, and she is a Cardinal's fan.
And the Boston Red Sox won the World Series.

Michael Leggett said...

It was a veritable FOX Sports Production, replete with Captain Obvious, pointing out what Lindsey Meeks was doing in Centrefield.