May 17, 2011

G42: Orioles at Red Sox, PPD

Tonight's game has been postponed.
Orioles - 
Red Sox - 
Zach Britton / Tim Wakefield

Daisuke Matsuzaka had an MRI on his right elbow today and it looks like he will going on the disabled list. Reliever Michael Bowden is on his way to Boston from Pawtucket. Alfredo Aceves may take Dice's spot in the rotation.
AL EAST
             W    L    PCT    GB    RS    RA   DIFF
Rays        24   17   .585   ---   178   149   + 29
Yankees     20   19   .513   3.0   195   172   + 23
Red Sox     21   20   .512   3.0   181   186   -  5
Blue Jays   21   20   .512   3.0   189   176   + 13
Orioles     19   21   .475   4.5   163   184   - 21
AL East: Yankees/Rays at 6:30 PM and Blue Jays/Tigers at 7 PM.
Example
Harmon Clayton Killebrew died this morning at the age of 74. At Baseball Reference, Dr. Doom shared this story:
My wife and I attended a (free) speaking engagement he gave in a local Catholic church last year in St. Peter, MN, with about 300 people in the audience. He was slated to talk for an hour, so, of course, he went about 15 minutes over. Then, he signed autographs for the next hour and a half. This is not because people were bringing too much stuff (there was a limit of one item per person), but because he insisted on talking to everyone and asking about their personal lives. My wife and I each had something - a "Twins Fan Parking Only" sign for ourselves (my wife is a Twins fan, I a Brewers fan), and a Twins pennant for her dad - a baby-boomer Twins fan. I really wanted something for my dad, and as we were among the last in line, I called him on the phone. When we got to the front of the line, I asked if Harmon wouldn't mind saying "hello." I told him he absolutely could decline, but he thought it would be fun. I hadn't told my dad who it was, merely that someone famous wanted to talk to him. I'll never forget Harmon saying, "Hi, Bob! This is Harmon Killebrew." It was a great moment, and even the people around us in line laughed. The man just exuded joy, and it is too, too bad he has to go. He will be sorely missed. And in our household, he will always be remembered for his kindness.

16 comments:

allan said...

Ellsbury, CF
Pedroia, 2B
Gonzalez, 1B
Youkilis, 3B
Ortiz, DH
Lowrie, SS
Cameron, RF
Saltalamacchia, C
McDonald, LF

From PeteAbe:

Britton is 3-1 with 1.71 ERA in his last four starts.

Ellsbury has hot safely in 23 of the last 24 games at .364 (39 of 107) with 12 doubles and 17 runs scored.

[^^ nice typo!]

Through games played on Monday, Gonzalez leads the majors with 37 RBIs. Ryan Howard (35), Adrian Beltre (34) and Lance Berkman (34) follow.

allan said...

Matsuzaka had an MRI on his right elbow today.

laura k said...

Lovely story about Killibrew.

laura k said...

[^^ nice typo!]

Sigmund says hi!

allan said...

Looks like Matsuzaka is headed for the DL, as reliever Michael Bowden is on his way from Pawtucket. Alfredo Aceves may move into the rotation.

meunier said...

I would like to see Doubront get a start.

allan said...

Doubront

Me, too. Just checked his game log.

He went on the 7-day DL on May 14 (retroactive to May 11) for a left groin strain, so we won't see him for awhile. Plus, it looks like they are bringing him back very slowly from his arm trouble in the spring.

4 starts -- April 22, 28, May 3, 9 -- but only 13.2 IP (3, 3, 3.1, 4.1, respectively).

13.2 IP, 9 H, 5 BB, 18 K, 1.98 ERA

meunier said...

MLB TV says rainout for this game.

Amy said...

Game postponed. I guess with two of our "starters" on the DL, this may be a good thing.

Jere said...

When I think of Killebrew, I think of that Home Run Derby show from the 60s that ESPN was showing back in the 80s. So I was pleasantly surprised when Castiglione brought up the same thing on the pre-(non) game tonight, and even played a clip of it.

allan said...

MFY - 00
FKR - 00

Jere said...

1-1 after 4.5

Jere said...

Just flipped on the replay of last night's game, which NESN is now showing. It was right when the 7th was starting, so I thought, Hey, I can watch the homer I missed last night when they showed a commercial instead. Know what I learned? That the homer was on the second pitch! So they missed a pitch, then the dong, and the rounding of the bases until just after he hit third. But Don was announcing the whole time, further proving it was Verizon's fault, in this case.

4-1 Yanks, top 9.

Unknown said...

2.5 back. First time we've been less than 3 back since we were 0 and 2.

Jere said...

(Gedmaniac is my yahoo account. Whoops. My point remains the same.)

allan said...

I figured that was you!