July 30, 2011

Red Sox Trade For Royals INF Mike Aviles

The Red Sox have acquired infielder Mike Aviles from the Kansas City Royals for Yamaico Navarro and right-handed pitcher Kendal Volz.

Aviles is hitting .222/.261/.395 this year, and has expressed his unhappiness at being a bench player. Yesterday, he said:
I'm not handling it great. I feel I've been an everyday player my whole career. And every time I play on an everyday basis, I've been able to produce when healthy. ... I'm not going to be handling it great because I don't feel it's justified.
After a very good rookie season in 2008, he has not done much, though he could contribute against lefties (career .296/.343/.464), I suppose. Although he's 30, Aviles will be eligible for arbitration for the first time this winter

Volz was a ninth-round pick in 2009 and was pitching in Salem (High-A) this summer.

3 comments:

allan said...

Maybe this is why Navarro started all four games against the Royals.

PeteAbe says Aviles will wear #3 and be with the team tonight.

Tom DePlonty said...

I was happy to see that SoSH seems as mystified by this as I was. Maybe there is another shoe about to drop - Scutaro or Lowrie as part of a deal for a starter?

allan said...

Better backup for the playoffs if Lowrie or Scutaro can't go? (And Scutaro's throwing arm is not so good, so ...) I am not too worried about losing Navarro.