November 7, 2007

Pitches Great! Less Schilling!

Boing Boing has picked upon my MLB download troubles. Spread the word.

Schilling $8 contract for 2008 includes as much as $6 in incentives (not the $2 I mentioned yesterday), including a weight-related clause -- suggested by G38 himself.
I inserted the weigh-in clause in the second round of offers. Given the mistakes I made last winter and into spring training I needed to show them I recognized that, and understood the importance of it. Being overweight and out of shape are two different things. I also was completely broadsided by the fact that your body doesn't act/react the same way as you get older, even after being told that for the first 39 years of my life.
(That's a pretty horrible post title, isn't it?)

Kevin Youkilis is only the second first baseman in Red Sox history to win a Gold Glove (George Scott, the real "Boomer", is the other). Much is made of Yook's 1,080 chances without an error, but really, if Yook had made an error or three along the way, would his work at first been any less valuable?

Theo Epstein, on the Mike Lowell negotiations: "We're working at it and hopefully moving the ball forward each day." ... Damn it, Theo, NO football metaphors!!!

Daisuke Matsuzaka became the first Red Sox pitcher since Babe Ruth (Game 4, 1918) to have two RBIs in a World Series game.

Interesting take on the Slappy Opt-out from the Times:
From a bargaining perspective, however, the story up to now shows strong evidence [that] Rodriguez wants to stay a Yankee — albeit after proving his open-market value — and has gone out of his way to make it possible for the Yankees to climb down from their posturing and match any offer.
In NYC: The Mets are meeting with Alex Rodriguez. Right now, Wilson Betemit is pencilled in as the Chokers' 3B next year. That will likely change by March, but whoever they get will be a huge downgrade from Mr. McBluelips. ... Jorge Posada says he'll listen to other offers before making any decision re the MFY. Sources say the Chokers are considering offering 3/40, while Dumbo is looking for four years. ... Andy Pettitte turned down his $16 million option for 2008 and he may decide to retire. ... And finally, from CI: "If someone came out twenty years from now and said they released those bugs on purpose, I'd believe it."

9 comments:

laura k said...

Allan Wood (a baseball megafan who has written a book about Babe Ruth)

Whoo-hoo! Nice ID. Plug that book!

Jere said...

Yeah. They released the bugs. It was also very mysterious when those men dressed in black came out onto the field and quickly built bug-proof houses around JUST the Indians players.

s1c said...

For those of you who wonder why I listen to WEEI (though with out the baseball talk not so much) it is to hear such insightful Sox fans as Jermaine, who this morning called Schilling a phony for saying he left money on the table.

While Theo says the weight clauses won't be easy, ten bucks says that Schilling makes the weight and gets close to the 200 innings. The only question is whether he gets the Cy Young vote. Hmmm, I wonder if CHB has a vote next year?

CI is just insane.

Amy said...

I actually like the post title....very clever. (But then I am a sucker for puns.)

I like the idea of a fit Schilling starting the season.

Laura, I wondered what you thought about the idea of getting 2 million dollars for losing weight, given your recent post on wmtc about weight loss!.

Jere said...

I also was fine with the title. But what about "Less Schilling, Weight's Great!"?

allan said...

"Less Schilling, Weight's Great!"

See, that's better.

laura k said...

Laura, I wondered what you thought about the idea of getting 2 million dollars for losing weight, given your recent post on wmtc about weight loss!

Hi Amy, I just happened to see this comment as I was scrolling through.

Just FYI, I don't really hang out here in the off-season. I'm not interested in the hot-stove discussions, but I'll drop in for issue-oriented posts, like the one on Boras or DiMaggio. Usually I just take a peek to see what Allan is writing about, and move along.

How I feel about a weight loss clause? The man's an athlete, anything that helps him stay in top form is good, especially since he chose it himself.

It's a good thing my own livelihood doesn't depend on weight loss. :)

Amy said...

It's a good thing my own livelihood doesn't depend on weight loss. :)

Amen to that!

Justin said...

Its good to see Schilling recognize his problem, and take steps to mend it. Losing weight will help in in baseball and in life as well. A lesser player wouldn't have given this a second thought.

Hopefully, Curt's improved physique will rub off on Papi ;)