January 24, 2013

Pedro Rejoins Red Sox As Special Assistant To GM

UPDATE: Pedro talks to the press!

***

Pedro Martinez has taken a job as a special assistant to General Manager Ben Cherington.

Pedro:
I am thrilled to be returning to this organization and to the city I love. Ben Cherington's meetings this week have been outstanding. It is an honor to be back with the Red Sox and help in any way I can. I am grateful to our leaders; I believe in them, and I thank them for allowing me to return to the field and help us win again. My heart will always live in Boston.
Cherington:
We are very excited to have Pedro onboard with us and back in the Red Sox organization. He was one of the game's most dominant pitchers and without a doubt a beloved figure in Red Sox history. Similar to former teammate Jason Varitek, who joined the baseball operations staff in September, Pedro will be involved in several areas, including the evaluation, mentorship, and instruction of young players in spring training and throughout the season.
Besides working with Boston's young pitchers and doing some scouting in the Dominican Republic, Pedro will also be in charge of keeping Don Zimmer a safe distance from Fenway Park.


12 comments:

laura k said...

Awesome!

9casey said...

If you never knew Pedro and all you had was Tito's book to base your opinion. You never would think they would hire him.

allan said...

Photo: Gordon Edes looks on as Tito signs a book for Pedro.

9casey said...

Allan, do you have the book yet?

allan said...

Not yet. I may need to order it. Not sure if stores in Toronto will carry it.

9casey said...

I need to send you an ipad.

allan said...

:>)

I got an email from two guys in NYC who bought me a copy, got it signed, and are mailing it to me!!!

9casey said...

Nice, by Tito and CHB?

9casey said...

I dont know if it is just the downloaded version, but I am finding mistakes . Like sentences just left out.

allan said...

Yeah, signed by both. One guy emailed:

"Earlier this week, Francona and Shaughnessy stopped by the building where I work in New York to sign copies of Francona: The Red Sox Years. My friend and I -- both of us regular readers of your blog -- were amused to see that Terry was seated in full MLB-celebrity luxury at a big table, while CHB was way off to the side at a ridiculously tiny little table -- more like a bedside stand.
I almost felt bad for the guy. Most of the folks in attendance got Terry's signature and then walked right by Shaughnessy without so much as a second glance."

***

:>)

A SoSHer there said maybe 1/3 of people got CHB to sign as well.

Kathryn said...

Wow, Allan. That is great!

Jay is reading it now. I get it next. He chuckles out loud at times while reading it.

9casey said...

Just finished it....