July 28, 2014

Ortiz Blasts Home Run, Archer and Maddon Start Whining

David Ortiz clubbed a three-run moon shot on Sunday afternoon in Tampa Bay - and it made the difference in a 3-2 Red Sox win. Ortiz tossed his bat aside like he usually does when he truly gets ahold of one and trotted slowly around the bases.
As soon as the game was over, the Rays did what they do best. Pitcher Chris Archer and manager Joe Maddon went whining to the media.
Archer:
I think it was a perfect example of what Price said [about Ortiz thinking he is bigger than the game]. All of my interactions ... off the field have been good but when it comes to him on the field, I don't know what makes him think that he can showboat the way he does and then nobody retaliate, nobody look at him a funny way or nobody pitch him inside. I don't know why he feels like that but obviously he feels the way David [Price] said he does. He feels like he's bigger than the game. He feels like the show is all about him when in reality, if I don't walk Daniel Nava, if I don't give up an infield single to Pedroia, his one home run means nothing. I hope he realizes that there's more that goes into it than just him. I don't know. I feel like you can't say that your true character is defined by one action, but multiple actions speak to who you are.
Ortiz:
Whatever, dude. There's always going to be comments out there. He's not the right guy to be saying that, I don't think. He's got two days in the league. What can I tell you, man? Players these days are too sensitive about things. Just leave it at that. I think he's a good pitcher, I think he has great stuff. He's a guy I think is going to be pretty good, but it takes some time to get to that level.
Maddon:
He played it up pretty good. Again, you'd have to talk to him about that. I've had so much respect for that guy over the years. He's an iconic figure in that city, and I've always thought of him as a very classy person. The man has meant so much for the game and also back in his country [Dominican Republic]. Then there's those moments that occur like that. I'm not saying that my respect diminished, it's just something that makes you think a little bit more.
Does Ortiz think he's bigger than the game? I can't say - because I don't know the man or his private thoughts - but I suspect that he does not. What seems obvious is that after all that has gone on between the two teams this season, when Ortiz crushes a ball like he did yesterday, if he is showboating, he's showing up the Rays. It has nothing to do with the greater game.

12 comments:

allan said...

Grant Brisbee: David Ortiz, human asterisk for the unwritten rules
Love the flow chart!

allan said...

SoSHer NickEsasky:
"Did Archer lose respect for himself when he struck out Nava then fist pumped and kissed his right bicep as he sauntered off the mound?"

allan said...

From Elias:
David Ortiz's three-run homer in the third inning was all the Red Sox needed to defeat the Rays, 3-2. It was the sixth game of Ortiz's Red Sox' career in which he drove in every run for Boston in a victory, and Tampa Bay has been his victim in each of the last three such games (5-4 at Boston on Sept. 12, 2007, 2-0 at Tropicana Field on May 25, 2010 and Sunday's win at St. Petersburg).

Benjamin said...

Whining in baseball is worse than diving in soccer. I can suffer through shitty baseball, but this crap is shitty not-baseball. STFU and play baseball.

Maxwell Horse said...

Maddon is so full of shit. When Lackey hit a Rays player last year, he publicly shamed him. When Price does it to the Sox this year, Maddon praises it.

When Price goes off half-cocked last year bragging about every accomplishment and blue ribbon he's received since he was in grade-school, after he got his ass-handed to him in the ALDS, no one says a word. But because Ortiz got mad this year after two members of the Sox were hit (one of them obviously intentionally) then we're all supposed to shake our heads over how Ortiz thinks he's "bigger than the game."

Archer is also one of the biggest idiots on the Rays. (That game where he kissed his bicep he also acted like an ass-clown when someone [Nava?] hit a homerun.) He is the last person you want to hear life lesson advice from regarding onfield conduct. Honestly, the only thing preventing the organization from being one of the most hateable teams of all time is the fact that Brett Lawrie isn't with them.

Maurice said...

I have to say, if Ortiz sauntered excessively, then it was prescient on his part that his swing would win the game. As for Archer and Madden, well, my, those grapes are sour...

FenFan said...

All I hear from the Rays organization is blah, blah, blah, blah...

Seriously, Chris Archer, have a Snickers bar.

FenFan said...

Honestly, the only thing preventing the organization from being one of the most hateable teams of all time is the fact that Brett Lawrie isn't with them.

What's Luke Scott doing these days? :-)

Dr. Jeff said...

"...if I don't walk Daniel Nava, if I don't give up an infield single to Pedroia, his one home run means nothing."

This stood out to me as being particularly dumb. "If there weren't two men on base, it would have been a solo HR"

hrstrat57 said...

Allan I am sure you are aware of this but just in case:

Heard Tony Mazz offering a free copy of your book to a lucky caller during "The Baseball Reporters"

Which I of course thought was most excellent!

allan said...

Heard Tony Mazz offering a free copy of your book to a lucky caller during "The Baseball Reporters"

They actually have 5 copies and I think will be giving away a copy every day. Did they talk about the book much?

allan said...

What's Luke Scott doing these days? :-)

I think he just got released from a team in Japan for insulting the manager.