March 28, 2018

Ohtani Watch: Will Make Pitching Debut On Sunday, May DH Before That

Shohei Ohtani will make his pitching debut on Sunday, in the final game of the Angels' four-game series against the Athletics in Oakland.

Manager Mike Scioscia may use Ohtani as the team's designated hitter in one of the first three games. (The team has said Ohtani will DH two or three days a week when he is not pitching.)

Ohtani had a rough spring. In two starts, the 23-year-old allowed nine hits (including three home runs) and nine runs in only 2.2 innings.
                  IP   H   R  ER  BB   K  PIT
0224 vs Brewers  1.1   2   2   1   1   2   21
0316 vs Rockies  1.1   7   7   7   1   3   29
He also batted .125 (4-for-32, all singles), with 10 strikeouts.

Ohtani threw 85 pitches in 5.1 innings in an intrasquad game on Saturday. He walked five, hit a batter and threw two wild pitches.
The plan was to throw as many splitters as I can, so to get the feel of it. ... I felt really good, especially toward the end. ... I've done everything I can to get ready for Opening Day. I know I'm not at 100 percent. But it is hard, like every other year. Even in Japan, I was not like 100 percent on Opening Day. ... But at the same time, I'm still worried, not only because it's a new place and a new environment, but in Japan at this time of year, I always had worries.

No comments: