May 15, 2018

Pedroia Feels Great After Playing Five Innings With Pawtucket

Dustin Pedroia played five innings for Pawtucket last night, going 1-for-3 and fielding his only chance at second base. He had cartilage restoration surgery on his left knee last October.
It went good. I'm pretty happy about it. ... I hit three balls on the barrel, so I'm happy with that. Obviously, I've got to get some more at-bats to lock in, but everything went great. ... After I got out there in the first inning, I didn't think about my knee one time, so that's when you know you're good. ... I can definitely drive the ball, rotate and put something behind it. That's why I'm excited about getting some at-bats [in a real game].
Pedroia batted third and flied to right in the first. He led off the fourth with a single and later scored and grounded out to second in the fifth.

After playing tonight, Pedroia will take a couple of days off. He has said he hopes he can return to the Red Sox on May 25, a week from this Friday.

1 comment:

allan said...

Alex Speier tweeted a Pedroia quote this afternoon:
"I can do it now. I think they know I can do it now. But it's probably not responsible coming back from this surgery, going straight to the big leagues and playing. Could I do it? Yeah. Absolutely. But I don't think they'd be comfortable with that."