January 22, 2006

Crisp Deal Not Official; Rumors Get Worse

I was about to add a sentence to the top of the last post, noting that the Crisp deal has not been officially confirmed, when I read on SoSH that Gordon Edes of the Globe has floated these names:
Crisp
Bard
Riske

Marte
Mota
Shoppach
Are the Red Sox this stupid (or desperate)? As the Manny trade possibilities got nuttier and nuttier, it made sense to walk away. But will the Sox "overpay" for Crisp? I'm no fan of Shoppach and seriously question how much playing time he'll ever get in Boston, but Bard is nothing. And Riske doesn't add anything to the pen we don't already have.

I can live with Crisp for Marte and Mota. But please Ben-Jed-Theo, pull the plug on this other nonsense.

3 comments:

Andrew said...

I guess I (very) slightly disagree; my only problem with this deal is in the principle parts, the Marte/Mota for Crisp deal. I understand CF is a big hole, but Marte is too high a cost for Crisp to return adequate value here; adding Mota just makes it worse. The Riske/Bard aspect of it makes it slightly more palatable in my opinion, as I view Riske as an upgrade over Mota, and if Shoppach was as good a chip as we all thought he was, he'd have been gone by now. I'd imagine Bard will get a good shot at the backup C job this year, and I hope he gets it. Overall, it's still a bad trade, but you're right; at least it fills our biggest hole with a young, talented, and improving player, despite the cost.

Soog said...

Guys,

You only hope that Marte becomes a Coco caliber player. Coco is only 26! He is at a skill position and hits leadoff from both sides of the plate!

Riske is better than Mota and without the injury history.

Shoppach has more value than Bard but neither will play in Boston anyway.

I wouldn't trade Coco for Damon straight up today!

allan said...

Well, sure, Sizemore is why Crisp was in left.

In 188 games in center, Crisp's RF is below average (though above average in left).

Like I said, I can live with (but not love) Marte and Mota, but damn, let's leave it at that. No way Cleveland accepts Marte only -- and Boston is under some type of barrel regarding CF.

Also, if all goes as expected, Marte will be out-hitting Coco quite soon. ... But you can't get talent for nothing.

Any thoughts on Youkilis at the top of the order and Crisp at #7 or so to take advantage of his SLG?