March 27, 2005

Batting Second ...

Terry Francona says Trot Nixon will bat second against right-handers, with Edgar Renteria moving to fifth. Against lefties, Renteria will hit second and Jay Payton will replace Nixon. Tito: "The idea is, if they hit like they're supposed to, is to maximize our scoring opportunities." ... Relevant stats here.

On Friday, Curt Schilling pitched 3.2 innings against the Twins, allowing five hits and three runs. He threw 66 pitches in the 81-degree heat. "I felt like I came out in the bottom of the 14th when I came out of the game today." His next start will be on Tuesday against either the Twins or Yankees. My money is on Minnesota. ... He is also being slotted in to pitch on Opening Day -- for Pawtucket, in Indianapolis on April 7. Schilling could then face the Yankees April 13 at Fenway Park.

David Heuschkel has a good wrap-up of where the Sox stand one week before the season begins, including info on Wade Miller and Matt Mantei, the bench and Theo's attempts to deal Byung-Hyun Kim. As far as the bench, it looks like the final spot is down to either David McCarty or George Lombard. Kim will likely be in the pen, but will likely be bumped off when Schilling returns from the DL.

David Wells is enjoying himself. "I'm having the time of my life. ... Some guys can't handle [candid feedback from teammates]. I don't know if Kevin Brown can. But guys like me, basically, you don't care what they say. Coming in here, it's like I've been here for 20 years."

No comments: