December 7, 2008

Varitek Will Decline Arbitration

Boras Update:
"We're not going to take it," Boras said. "We're going to decline. We are talking with the Red Sox and other teams about Tek."
***

Nick Cafardo reports that a source close to Jason Varitek confirms that the Red Sox captain will decline salary arbitration. If so, Varitek will be able to negotiate with any major league team.

For the most part, I've been avoiding the trade/free agent rumours of the past month or so. And Fox's Ken Rosenthal has presented Exhibit A of why that's a good idea.
December 4: Rosenthal calls Varitek "a strong candidate to accept arbitration" and said "it would be an upset" if Tek rejected Boston's offer.

December 6: Rosenthal reports that (a) Varitek will likely "reject arbitration and remain on the open market" and (b) that he "seems an ideal candidate to accept the Red Sox's offer".
The winter meetings begin tomorrow in Las Vegas.

7 comments:

Rob said...

I'm the same way. I'll keep tabs on some of the rumors but I really don't think too much of them until something has actually happened. Such as this. Rumors are rumors.

9casey said...

Ish said...
Rumors are rumors.

Until they are true, of course....

I enjoy the hot stove it keeps me interested.....

Rob said...

Yep. I used to pay a lot more attention... it felt like I had a problem around this time last year when I'd reload rotoworld 10 to as much as 30 times a day hoping the Red Sox made a trade for Johan Santana.

Now? Well it's a good thing Boston has two very good winter sports teams now.

andy said...

Yeah the off season drama is very much as intense as the actual playing of games. Albeit childish and tiresome.

allan said...

Post-2004, I find myself more than content to glance at the headlines and wait for Truck Day. (Before that, though, I was way more obsessed.)

FenFan said...

Post-2004, I find myself more than content to glance at the headlines and wait for Truck Day. (Before that, though, I was way more obsessed.)

Ditto...

laura k said...

I pay zero attention to off-season drama. To me it's a total waste of time. All I need to know is who's on the team when the deals are done.

For me, baseball ends with the final out of the World Series, and begins on Opening Day. In between I get a break.