August 15, 2010

Cafardo Can't Get An Answer

Nick Cafardo, Globe:
It worked out for everyone, but years later, you wonder why Theo Epstein chose Terry Francona over Joe Maddon to manage the Red Sox before the 2004 season.
Nick: Theo ain't Thomas Pynchon. He answers his phone. You might even see him walking around Fenway Park. You've had more than 6.5 years* to get an answer to your question. What are you waiting for?

* In the fall of 2003, Jon Lester was still a teenager, looking forward to moving up out of A ball. David Ortiz had been a regular in the Boston lineup for four months. It was awhile ago.

Dustin Pedroia went 0-for-3 as Pawtucket's DH on Sunday -- 463DP, F9, F7 -- and says he's ready to rejoin the Red Sox lineup.
I hated [being the DH]. It's not fun. You sit around. ... We don't have time for [more AAA games]. We're in the middle of a pennant race. I've got to try to get back in there.
Pedroia last played for the Sox on June 25, a little more than seven weeks ago.

10 comments:

BklynSoxFan said...

I think you mean 6.5 years, as Tito was named manager in late 2003.

SoSock said...

Well that explains it. I mean, if it was only SIX and a half years.........

;>

Bring on FUCK YEAH!

allan said...

I think you mean 6.5 years

And I counted it out on my fingers twice!

I fixed it -- and took out the 3/4 of a decade description.

FenFan said...

It's a rather pointless question but do you honestly believe that Theo would answer it?

Rob said...

The question should be exactly why he chose Terry Francona to manage. What did he like so much about Terry, not why he picked him over anyone else.

Go away, Cafardo. Stop writing and trim your ear hair. What a stupid thing to write.

allan said...

I know Theo has talked about the interview process and what was involved. Or maybe Tito has (or both). I should try to find it.

Cafardo is an ignorant hack. Amazing (and so sad) that he writes the Globe Sunday Notes column.

I know I have said this many times, but Maddon was my choice for manager at the time. Turns out I also liked Larry Dierker.

allan said...

Joe Maddon Is A 2.4 Gigahertz Linksys Router

Rob said...

Fuck that, let's read some tea leaves.

laura k said...

The question should be exactly why he chose Terry Francona to manage. What did he like so much about Terry, not why he picked him over anyone else.

That's right. And I'm pretty sure Theo has talked about that before.

I didn't read Cafardo's column (as if!) - is it Rip On The Manager Week?

tim said...

I didn't realize Cafardo was as fat as he is. Those pictures on the globe website should be taken down.

I was picturing a slender italian man in his mid 20s, with jet black hair.

More of a young christopher moltisanti than a bad tony soprano stunt double, if you will.

(just continuing the sopranos theme from the previous post)