August 18, 2010

Ellsbury "Probably" Out For Season

Gordon Edes, ESPNBoston:
Tests administered in Los Angeles show that Red Sox outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury has another fractured rib, according to an industry source who also said Ellsbury "probably" will miss the rest of the season.

It was not immediately clear whether the fracture was related to the five ribs he fractured in a collision with Red Sox third baseman Adrian Beltre on April 11.
Example
My eyes/brain may be deceiving me, but is Steve Buckley actually defending Jacoby Ellsbury in today's column on Pedroia's return?
Dustin Pedroia was back in the lineup for the Red Sox last night, and you know what that means.

More proof that Jacoby Ellsbury is a wimp!

You know, we all know, that that's the way some people are playing it. ...

Somehow, some way, a whole lot of fans and media folks broke into the Red Sox medical files and took a long, hard look at the one marked "Ellsbury, Jacoby." They studied those so-called "fractured" ribs that have limited the kid to just 18 games this season. And then, in unison, they said, "Slacker!" ...

[Or], just maybe, everyone is just guessing when it comes to Jacoby Ellsbury. ...

Early last month in Toronto, Ellsbury came across as defensive when he discussed the injury with reporters. Why, the cad even had the temerity to use prepared notes to assure he had his facts straight! Why couldn't he pull a Curt Schilling and make wild statements he'd later have to back away from? ...

[I]s [Ellsbury] really that hurt?

We. Don't. Know.

But we call him a wimp anyway, just because.
I would have absolutely put Buckley in the category of the "some people" who are "playing" the wimp story, based on his past performances. ... Does anyone know if he has been on the side of common sense all along or has he now changed his tune?

10 comments:

johngoldfine said...

One cracked rib was plenty to get me on the express train to Wimpsville. That shit hurts every time you laugh (not that there's much to laugh about), take a deep breath, cough, sneeze, or hiccup. I did not have the experience of covering the outfield or getting around on a fastball--instead, I delicately lowered myself into the driver's seat of my car, walked extra slow and tall, and begged my wife to not be funny while I was trying to eat.

I can't believer that Ellsbury would not be playing if he could play at anything like normal. Fans think this lost season is somehow amusing him, is part of an agent's Machiavellian strategy?

Rob said...

And now I read that Mike Cameron is out for the season.

matthew said...

Seriously. When I had a rib injury I couldn't even sleep without constant pain. And when I started to feel better after several weeks, I played some pickup basketball and ran into a screen at full speed. Elbow to the ribs. And it shut me down for two more months. And those were just bruised ribs. X-rays showed no cracks. Anybody labeling Jacoby as a wimp clearly hasn't had one of these injuries.

laura k said...

Why couldn't he pull a Curt Schilling and make wild statements he'd later have to back away from?

I like it.

I would have absolutely put Buckley in the category of the "some people" who are "playing" the wimp story, based on his past performances. ... Does anyone know if he has been on the side of common sense all along or has he now changed his tune?

I don't think it matters. If he realized he was an irresponsible jerk earlier, he doesn't have to say he's sorry, he only has to correct himself and now write facts instead of innuendo. Taking his fellow mediots to task is a good thing.

johngoldfine said...

I think a certain amount of the name-calling is simple resentment of player salaries. The thinking goes: "If I made what he made, I'd sure as hell be out there, no matter what."

Well, no, actually you wouldn't, but isn't it pretty to think so?

allan said...

Peter Abraham, Globe, 4:02 PM:

Jacoby Ellsbury said he was examined in California and re-broke the rib in his back. He then walked away, refusing to take questions. More to come on this.

UPDATE, 4:19 p.m.: Terry Francona offered a muddled explanation, saying the injury is in the same area but that it wasn't clear whether it was a new break or a re-injury. At best he's out 4-6 weeks and that's essentially the rest of the season. Francona said he did not know whether Ellsbury would stay with the team.

****

laura k said...

I think a certain amount of the name-calling is simple resentment of player salaries.

I very much agree.

laura k said...

He then walked away, refusing to take questions.

Any idea why that might be, Pete?

Amy said...

This is so sad. Sad that LBJ has endured so many injuries this, sad that he has taken an undeserved beating from the media and many fans, sad that it is unlikely he will return. He can be such an exciting player to watch, and we certainly have had fun watching him play. If we have seen his last days as a member of the Red Sox, that makes me truly sad.

fusionmouse said...

There's probably some amount of transference with LBJ as well.
People so despise his agent and his manipulations of his clients and their teams; that they denigrate those players whenever they find them "lacking" the true superstardom qualities that Boras claims for all his clients.