August 10, 2010

Papelbon Feels Great: 0.54 ERA In Last 7 Weeks

Johnathan Papelbon struck out the side to save yesterday's 2-1 win over the Yankees and he said he feels
better than I have all year, and I'm not just saying that. ... I've always tried to take pride in the second half of the season ... when I'm going to be needed to go out there and pitch every day I can.
Papelbon has allowed only two runs (one earned) since June 24 (0.54 in 16.2 innings), although some of the outings have been bumpy: he has allowed four of nine inherited runners to score. 49% of the hits he has allowed have been for extra bases. That is the highest percentage on the team, tied with the now-departed Ramon Ramirez.

You can note that high slugging percentage against in the stats below, which are through the first 113 games of each season:
      APP  INN   BF  PIT  P/BF   AVG  OBP  SLG  SV BS
2006 50 57.1 213 832 3.91 .160 .203 .245 30 5
2007 39 39.2 158 655 4.15 .162 .247 .268 25 2
2008 47 48.1 186 726 3.90 .200 .231 .291 31 4
2009 47 47.1 203 825 4.06 .223 .307 .324 28 3
2010 46 47.1 195 768 3.94 .191 .271 .353 28 5
Bill Hall called the Monday victory "probably one of the most important wins of the season ... For the most part, we've got our back against the wall. We need a lot of wins."

(Nick Swisher: "You know, we've had injuries, too...")

Jacoby Ellsbury tied a team record with four stolen bases; Jerry Remy stole four bases on June 14, 1980. "Javier Lopez was always getting on me to at least tie it or break it. So I need to probably give Javy a phone call or something."

The team stole a season-high six bags, with J.D. Drew working with LBJ on a double steal and Ryan Kalish getting his first career steal. The Sox last stole six bases on June 17, 2008, against the Phillies. Boston began the day with only 34 SB, last among all 30 MLB teams. With 40, they are now ahead of the Blue Jays (37) and tied with the Cubs. (Boston leads all teams in fewest times caught stealing, with 12!)

Adrian Beltre's 14-game hitting streak came to an end. ... Carlos Delgado batted 4th as Pawtucket's DH last night against Toledo and was 0-for-3 (F7, 5-3, K). ... Jarrod Saltalamacchia is 3-for-16 in four games with the PawSox. ... Jeremy Hermida cleared waivers and was outrighted to Pawtucket.

12 comments:

johngoldfine said...

Is this going to make a believer out of Amy?

laura k said...

Is this going to make a believer out of Amy?

I think we all know the answer to that. :)

Rick (f/k/a westcoastsox) said...

I think that one more 3-strikeout save, and Amy will dance the Papeljig

Michael Holloway said...

I watched the last 1/2 inning of last nights game, he was throwing with excellent control. I don't think I've ever seen him pitch so well.

Amy in the dumps? Well this might cheer her up.

I wrote this last night after watching Papelbon, and then an episode of 'Two And A half Men' online: "Schadenfreude reference in "Two And A half Men" sitcom"(http://goo.gl/b/EujO)

*I* think it's funny. :)

allan said...

"Two And A Half Men"?

We may be hearing from Laura soon.

Amy said...

Just catching up with this (been on the road between the Cape, western MA and now Brooklyn for a few days). A believer? No. But I will give him the benefit of the doubt after the last couple of games. I wish he had not given up the double last night, but I am learning to be more realistic about our closer. I still do not like him though.

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
laura k said...

"Two And A Half Men"?

I think this is quite possibly the worst show on television.

It may be the worst sitcom in the history of sitcoms.

laura k said...

PS: Amy was not "in the dumps". She is known throughout JoSdom as despising Papelbon and becoming highly stressed at his appearance.

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
laura k said...

I don't feel any animosity towards the show. I just think it's a piece of crap.

Amy said...

Isn't most everything on TV? (Not that that stops me from watching far too much of it....)