March 28, 2014

Sizemore Is Center Fielder, Bradley Optioned To Pawtucket

Grady Sizemore was named the Red Sox's Opening Day center fielder - and Jackie Bradley, Jr. was optioned to Pawtucket.

Sizemore was a pleasant surprise in camp this spring, hitting .333 and looking sharp in the outfield. John Farrell said that when the season begins, Sizemore would bat either fifth or sixth, not in the leadoff spot.

Sizemore:
After going through what I've gone through (seven surgeries since 2009), all the negative things that have happened, it's a long time since I've had positive news, a long time since I've been able to play, to feel this good in this setting, to look forward to coming to the ballpark ...
Bradley batted only .158 and struck out a team-high 17 times.
Back to work. Back to work. ... It's humbling. I've always known that, though. I don't really get too caught up in the highs, I don't get too caught up in the lows. I try to stay in the happy medium.
Farrell says Daniel Nava will be the team's primary leadoff man. ... In an announcement that took no one by surprise, Jon Lester was named the Opening Day starter. It's Lester's fourth straight OD start.

1 comment:

Michael said...

And Sizemore used to be who we dreamed Ellsbury would become. The baseball gods are a funny bunch.