April 30, 2015

Pedro: An Excerpt

Sports Illustrated has posted an excerpt from the upcoming book, Pedro:
On June 11, I came off the disabled list. Early in July came another of those Yankees series in which the fate of the world seemed to rest upon the outcome. I was down to pitch the finale. Two days before my start, Roger Clemens drilled Kevin Millar. I didn't care whether it was intentional or not. Clemens hit one of my players, so I filed it at the top of my to-do list.

The first batter of the first inning was Alfonso Soriano. I nicked him, but I swear, that one was just up and in. Soriano leaned in and swung right into that ball. The umpire said it was a strikeout.

Derek Jeter was up next, and I sailed one in on his hands and got him good. Both he and Soriano had to leave the game early to have X‑rays taken. I told some teammates, "At least I gave them a discount on an ambulance—they both got to go in the same one." That comment surprised Derek Lowe. He told me he figured that when I hit batters, it was an accident 90% of the time. He was 100% wrong. When I hit a batter, it was 90% intentional.
Pedro will be released Tuesday, May 5.

1 comment:

9casey said...

He was on the Fan today. He was good. Said he hates Jorge Posada because he said something about his mom and that gets you killed in Latin America. Said Jorge being Latin American should know better. Also said if he could have he would have apologized to Zimmer. Said he wished he ran around the outfield with Zim chasing him he thought would have been funny.