May 24, 2004

Off Tonight; Oakland At Fenway Tomorrow. Tim Wakefield threw only 89 pitches through seven innings last night, but the demands of fatherhood had left him exhausted. "You see my eyes? I've been trying to help out my wife as much as I can. That's part of life. I have a beautiful son at home and a beautiful wife who has blessed me with this child. I labored there for a couple of innings. I'm just a little sleep-deprived right now." (Also here and here)

David Ortiz leads the AL with 18 doubles: "I kind of look like Johnny Damon, but in slow motion." (Also) ... Toronto starter Miguel Batista threw a whopping 94 pitches in three innings. ... Bill Mueller flew to Phoenix to get a second opinion on his sore right knee. Orthopedist David Zeman, who removed bone chips from Mueller's left knee in March 2002, will examine him. Some beat writers think a stint on the disabled list is likely. ... Trot Nixon will play three innings in right field in an extended spring training game today in Fort Myers, then DH for the rest of the game. ... Francona will use today's off day to give the starters an extra day of rest -- Schilling, Lowe and Arroyo against Oakland.

No comments: