2. So who do we get when Remlinger is DFA'd? ... He threw 27 pitches to four batters; they all reached base and they all scored. Part of the blame has to go to Francona. While having him pitch in a 7-2 game is ideal, Remlinger isn't so good against lefties. Who did Tito bring him in to face? Dellucci (L), Young (R), Teixeira (S) and Blalock (L). The start of the seventh might have been a better spot for Myers.
3. The score was 7-2 after six innings. After Dellucci doubled and Remlinger walked Young, I said (more as a joke): "We better not win this game 8-7." Laura corrected me: "No, we better not lose this game 8-7." ... After Remlinger and Bradford thoroughly soiled the sheets, Myers did come in to face Dellucci -- nine batters late?
4. The Rangers were all over the basepaths in the first seven frames, though Clement held things together. Myers, Timlin and Schilling retired 10 of the last 11 Texas hitters over the final 3.1 innings.
5. I knew Schilling could pitch three or four innings, so I was pretty sure we'd win. I would have loved a Manny walk-off, or even something from Millar, but really, Renteria deserved to get the game-winner.
6. I have no idea where to put this, so it goes here. In Monday night's SoSH game thread, there was this exchange:
ookami7m: Millar has gone 54 games without a HR - when do the Millar was juiced conversations start?I have noticed that Millar has little more than edge-of-the-warning-track power these days.
LahoudOrBillyC: They have already started. I spent the past four days at the SABR convention in Toronto, and was involved in several conversations about 'roids. The people there were from all over the country, and included members of the media, a few club employees. There is no person in baseball more suspected than Millar. This one writer told a group of us that everyone in Florida knew Millar juiced there.
7. An arbitrator has shortened Kenny Rogers's suspension to 13 games -- and he and his 2.77 ERA will pitch against Arroyo tonight. ... Look for Yankee Bob to schedule Wells's hearing and subsequent suspension right after Labor Day -- a few days before he's set to face the MFYs.
8. Jose Contreras shut down the Yankees, who lost 2-1. New York trails Boston by 4.5 games -- and are closer to third place than first.
9. Speaking of the Yankees, one of their fans, on a dare, leapt from the upper deck onto the protective screen behind the plate. He and his friends were wondering if it would support his weight. ... Hello, Darwin Awards?