June 14, 2011

Globe: Sox Planning To Add Andrew Miller To Rotation

The Globe's Peter Abraham reports that "a major league source" says the Red Sox are planning on adding Pawtucket lefty Andrew Miller, 26, to the rotation.

Abraham: "Miller has a clause in his minor-league contract that would allow him to declare free agency tomorrow if he is not promoted to the majors."

In five starts since May 24, Miller has a 2.08 ERA (30.1 innings, 23 hits, seven walks, 30 strikeouts). In three June starts, Miller has walked only one while striking out 22.

For the season, Miller has appeared in 13 games (12 starts) and has a 2.47 ERA and 1.173 WHIP. He was acquired from the Marlins for LHP Dustin Richardson last November and re-signed as minor league free agent in December.

Abraham's source says the Red Sox want to have Miller face the Padres next week and "will create space in the rotation by shifting around the starts of John Lackey and Tim Wakefield".

I cannot see how the team could make a six-man rotation work, though, so maybe Wakefield gets bumped back to the pen, or Lackey gets dropped out of a plane ...

Miller, asked whether he thought his next start would be in Boston:
I don't know. I got my agent in town and we'll probably talk about it [the free agency option] tonight. It's a tough decision, but we'll see. I think things are certainly going in the right direction here and it would be a shame not to keep it going.

I mean, they've treated me great here. The Red Sox, in general and in every aspect, have given me every opportunity and it's been first class and I don't have any complaints at all. It's a good place and a good fit for me. I'll start, I'll relieve, I'll play second base, it doesn't matter. If there's a spot in the big leagues, I want it.
With the way Miller has been pitching -- he faced Charlotte on Tuesday (5.1-5-1-1-10, 96) -- not calling him up would absolutely mean losing him to another team. (SoSH thread)

3 comments:

9casey said...

How long does he have to be on the roster for a day, a month.

Why didn't the Red Sox just trade him....

Jack said...

I read on SoSH that he'd have to clear waivers if they tried to send him back down. I'm not 100% certain that's correct but I'd like to think there wouldn't be any hand wringing if he could just be sent back down after being on the major league roster for a day. As for why not to trade him - if he's really figured it out this guy could be very very good. He was taken in the 1st round for a reason.

Patrick said...

He'd have to clear waivers to make it back down to AAA, and to do that a team has to pick up his 3 million dollar option.

I'm not sure if a team would take on that contract. Let's see how he fares against the Padres.