April 4, 2008

Colon Dominates In PawSox Opener

The Red Sox might have pulled off the coup of the season.

Joe McDonald, ProJo:
In his first - and possible only - start for the PawSox, the veteran right-hander was outstanding in his five scoreless innings of work. He threw 74 pitches (45 strikes) and allowed just one hit with one walk and five strikeouts while earning the victory. He was consistently hitting 94-95 mph on the radar gun, and his splitter and changeup were working, too. The veteran right-hander, who signed a minor-league deal with the Red Sox at the start of spring training, was in total command of the strike zone and was working in a fluid tempo.
Colon:
I know I'm going to be pitching again in five days. I just don't know whether it's going to be here or with the big club. ... Whatever management wants me to do, I'll be happy to do.
Josh Beckett threw about 50 pitches in a side session in Fort Myers on Thursday morning; he is now with the team in Toronto. Mike Timlin threw 35 pitches in a session at Skydome and will throw again Saturday.

Must-Read: Rob Bradford has a two-part Q&A with Curt Schilling.

Bob Timmermann, with some cool history at the Griddle:
With runners on first and third and one out in the top of 10th in Atlanta, Bobby Cox replaced pitcher Chris Resop with Royce Ring to pitch to Adam LaRoche. Resop moved to left field to replace Matt Diaz. After Ring struck out LaRoche, Resop moved back to the hill to face Xavier Nady. Gregor Blanco then entered the game as the new left fielder. ...

Paul Richards, then the manager of the Chicago White Sox, is believed to be the first manager in the major leagues in modern times to pull off a switch like this in order to save a relief pitcher. There were numerous instances in the 19th Century of players switching positions between the mound and the field ...
This Blue Jays blog has very cool graphics of strike zones and umpire calls.

5 comments:

Jack Marshall said...

My question: Who will win more games this year: Colon, Pedro, Schilling, Mussina, Mike Hampton or The Big Eunuch? My bet:

1) Colon
2) Pedro
3) Mussina
4) Hampton
5) Eunuch
6) Schilling

I think Curt is through. I think RJ is just about through, and Moose is just holding on; I think the Yankees will release him mid-season. I can't see Pedro staying healthy enough to reach double figures, and if he thinks he's embarrassing himself, he'll retire.

Zenslinger said...

Tough buncha questions.

I was pulling for Hampton. It's like some kind of curse on him.

I agree Moose will do OK for part of the season and fall off badly again, but I doubt to the point of being released.

Much more to the point and the future of Yankee pitching is how Kennedy does tonight and in his first few starts. Hughes seems to be more or less a sure thing, but Kennedy's yet to be seen.

Why anyone thought RJ was going to do anything this year is anyone's guess.

allan said...

I'm starting to get a little giddy about Colon actually being able to relive some of his past glory.

I don't think the Chokers can farm out the Bigot with three rookies in the rotation (unless his ERA balloons to like 15.73).

allan said...

Note: I backdated this post by 1 hour and 2 minutes to place it before G5.

Jack Marshall said...

My Moose Gets Loose scenario is like this: He's in his final year. The Yankees are falling behind, and he's pitching like he did last August: crappilly. Jaba's still in the pen,and Bruney or somebody is pitching well. Hank is screaming, and Mussina,as always,is being a gutless, whining, jerk. They want to try Jaba as a starter. Moose can't be traded, because he's wildly over-paid.

I think the Yankees release him.