May 28, 2008

Matsuzaka: Shoulder Fatigue

Dausike Matsuzaka quotes, from the Herald, Globe and redsox.com:
Even before I went up on the mound, I felt things were a little off in the bullpen. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a discomfort, but I wasn't at my best even before going in to the game. After pitching the third inning, I definitely felt there was something wrong. ...

I had a similar experience probably in my second or third year of my professional career where before the game I just felt that things weren't 100 percent. I had a similar feeling, so I had a conversation with the coaching staff at the time. I think at that time I ended up starting the game. But today with so much season left, and such a long way to go in this long season, I thought it would be best to come out of the game at that point. ...

Since, as I've already mentioned, this is something I have experienced in the past, I'm not overly concerned about the situation right now.
Dice knew that there was "definitely" something wrong after the third inning -- and Francona/Farrell sent him out to pitch the fourth and warm up for the fifth. I don't like that.

Dice's next scheduled start is Monday night in Baltimore.

2 comments:

Patrick said...

Dice knew that there was "definitely" something wrong after the third inning -- and Francona/Farrell sent him out to pitch the fourth and warm up for the fifth. I don't like that.

I wonder if he told this to Francona at this point, or if any sort of conversation happened.

Hopefully this is no big deal, and the time off will help him keep fresh for the long season.

Also, perhaps this means we'll be seeing more of the giant Jamaican in the not so distant future.

Zenslinger said...

Yeah, and Buchholz will be back up, I assume.

Goes to show that you really need a seven-man rotation with another backup or two to have a really solid five-man rotation.