May 13, 2008

Yook: AL Player Of The Week

Kevin Youkilis was named the AL's Player of the Week for the period of May 5-11. He hit .375 (12-for-32), with three doubles, five homers and 10 RBI (.938 slugging percentage). Yook had at least two hits in five of the week's seven games.

Back with Pawtucket, Jed Lowrie hit a two-run homer in his second at-bat last night. Lowrie said Terry Francona "told me to come down here and get my work in and have a good attitude about it."

The Herald has a nice piece on Craig Hansen.

Cleveland second baseman Asdrubal Cabrera turned an unassisted triple play last night against Toronto — then flipped the ball into the crowd sitting behind the Cleveland dugout.

Also, from the Post: "... this club is likely in for a very long summer unless the Yankees can remain afloat until help can be secured through trades. ... The Yankees' fourth loss in six games lowered their record to 19-20 as the quarter pole quickly approaches."

And the Yankees would rather rush Ian Kennedy back to the majors than have Kei Igawa start another game.

4 comments:

nick said...

on that triple play:
[T]he guy who had the ignominy of hitting into this play was able to laugh it off.

"Hey, I'm just trying to speed up the game," Overbay said with a perfect deadpan delivery. "It's a bad hit-and-run. It's not very smart hitting a line drive. That's not going to work out very good. But, you know, I'll go down in history. No one can take that away from me."


-from the MLB.com article linked above.

Benjamin said...

Pettitte's struggles don't warrant a schadenfreude post? Or those only happen when we win and they lose? (You'd think I'd have noticed by now.)

allan said...

Pettitte's struggles don't warrant a schadenfreude post? Or those only happen when we win and they lose? (You'd think I'd have noticed by now.)

Well, it was only one tabloid today. And as I commented last night, I'm not sure if I should trot out a Schad post every time they lose. I could, but should I save them for good stuff?

There is no pattern, btw. It all depends on what's on the backpages.

laura k said...

. I could, but should I save them for good stuff?

I vote for save it for really good stuff. Too much of anything can become routine, even Yankee S-posts.