July 22, 2005

G96: White Sox 8, Red Sox 4

1. Adam Stern hit his first major-league home run in the ninth inning. It came a few minutes after an embarrassing two-base error in the field. The error caused no damage, so I hope Stern forgets about it.

2. Dustin Hermanson has the most ridiculous facial hair of any person I have ever seen. He must spend hours in front of the mirror every day. That is not proper use of a person's time.

3. Terry Francona needs a quicker hook. In the sixth inning, White Sox batters did the following against Wakefield: groundout, single, popup, single, three-run home run, single, single. ... Time for the pen? Nope. Next batter? The inning's second three-run home run.

3a. Wakefield retired the first 10 batters, struggled a bit in the fourth -- three hits and a walk within five batters -- but threw a perfect fifth. After that popup for the second out in the sixth, Wakefield had thrown only 78 pitches. I fully understand how hard it is to gauge whether a knuckleball pitcher has lost it or is going through a rough patch. But a three-run home run (making the score 4-1) and two more singles -- as the pen is busy -- is enough of a clue.

4. Ken Harrelson is the worst announcer of all-time. If you thought someone like Michael Kay was an annoying homer, you ain't heard nothin' yet. I've had to watch both games of this series on mute (and I see that the MLB-EI schedule has NESN for the weekend games, while I'm at work. Thanks.). What the hell kind of strikeout call is "he gone"? Heave the Hawk, indeed.

5 (updated). Tampa Bay 7, Baltimore 5. ... Anaheim 6, Yankees 3.

6 comments:

Iain said...

Yeah, I thought it couldn't get worse than Buck & McCarver, Miller & Morgan or Kay and [fill in dull ex-Yankee here], but Harrelson had me muting the sound last night. "You can put it on the board"? You can shove it up your...

Anonymous said...

Ken Harrelson is suck

Anonymous said...

I'll never forget seeing the Hawk belt a grand slam over the monster one Sunday afternoon when I was a kid. I loved him then, but the past two nights, I wanted his cellphone number so badly so I could tell him and his sidekick how sickeningly disgusting their hometown shtick really is. I've never heard anything like it.

Anonymous said...

I would rather listen to Tim McCarver and Joe Morgan team up for a game that goes into extra innings than five more minutes of Hawk and DJ. They are so wretched, and I am so glad to see others as horrified by their crap as I was.

Zach said...

I'd rather listen to a roundtable argument with Michael Kay, Joe Morgan and Stephen A. Smith for three hours than the rambling shit Ken Harrelson spews out of his biased mouth every night. HE GONE! is probably the lamest strikeout call ever known to man.

C'mon Aaron, get a hit here...
Let's go, good guys, finish it off...

Excuse me while I throw up in my mouth. Just makes you realize how great Remy and Orsillo really are.

laura k said...

Yeah, but do you like him? Come on, don't sugar coat it.