June 3, 2006

Youkilis Enjoys A "Bellhorn Day"

Kevin Youkilis on his ninth inning home run: "It was a rough day, but you can have four bad at-bats in this game and still go out there and do something. I call it a Bellhorn Day. Mark was the best at that. He’d have three bad at-bats and then - boom! - a home run to win the game."

David Pauley's second major league start will be Tuesday in Yankee Stadium. Francona: "All things considered, we felt it was a good idea for him to pitch again. He showed enough poise, he did sink the ball. He gave up a lot of hits, and didn't command at times ... but we saw enough to [start him again], rather than have somebody else come into Yankee Stadium for the first time."

Pauley: "Any kid who has ever grown up playing baseball dreams of playing at Yankee Stadium and Fenway Park. It's a dream come true. I'm excited about it. ... I don't really know how to put it into words, but it means a lot to me to have the confidence in me to let me go back out there."

Curt Schilling broke out a new pitch last night -- a sinking two-seamer. "It's something I've been messing with and I'm going to possibly mess with later in the year."

Steven Krasner looks at the many bumps in the Sox's 2006 road -- both physical (Wells, Pena, Loretta, Timlin, Crisp) and otherwise (Clement, Varitek). He notes that the Yankees also have their problems (Matsui, Sheffield and Posada). ... Mariano Rivera has missed a few games because of lower back spasms -- suffered while putting on his shoes. "When it happened, I couldn't believe it. I thought it was a little thing, then all of a sudden, I couldn't move my legs. ... I'm just taking it day-by-day."

1 comment:

thatdietcokegirl said...

i missed all but the 1st and 8th and 9th innings of this game. first sox game i've missed in...almost two years maybe.
even better than getting a ninth inning homerun to go ahead, was watching papelbon totally shut the door on them. such a good feeling...what yankee fans have been spoiled with all these years with rivera.
interesting that curt has added a new pitch. that could be really helpful for him..to get more groundballs, instead of counting on guys swinging and missing, or fouling off so many pitches.

i love how bellhorn is still brought up from time to time. even tho he was a strike-out king..i loved him :)

i guess we should feel nervous about pauley going in to yankee stadium, but i don't? i'm excited for him.