April 7, 2009

Schadenfreude 68 (A Continuing Series)

So ... 0-1 ... is Joe Girardi on the hot seat?

Pitching in front of the largest Opening Day crowd in the 18-year history of Camden Yards, CC Sabathia wilted against the mighty Orioles: 4.1-8-6-5-0, 96. He failed to record a strikeout for the first time since July 25, 2005. The six runs were the most he had allowed in 32 starts since last April.

Sabathia threw two wild pitches in the first inning -- the same amount he uncorked in 253 innings last season. CC was lifted in the fifth after he walked in Baltimore's sixth run. Girardi: "That's surprising, because he threw the ball so well for us in Spring Training."

MLB.com:
... the fans above the third-base dugout on Monday afternoon wielded a sign that read, "Severna Park Hates You, Tex" and told Teixeira [who went 0-for-4] to "get out of our park."
Teixeira makes his first appearance as a Yankee in Fenway Park two weeks from this Friday, on April 24.

4 comments:

Benjamin said...

"Flop Sweat" probably isn't the most original nickname, but it's all I see when I look at those photos of him.

tim said...

*shudders*

Zenslinger said...

My brother and I watched the beginning of this game in Las Vegas yesterday. After some fun at the roulette table, we sat down to laugh at the last couple of outs...then I realized I was not receiving cell phone signal, was late to meet my wife to go to the airport...aaaaaagh!

Jake of All Trades said...

With the 5 walks (including one with the bases loaded), my prediction was on a headline of:

"BB Sabathia"