March 4, 2008

Colon Progressing; Clay Watching Wake

Bartolo Colon threw 42 pitches (fastballs and changeups only) in an 11-minute bullpen session. It was his first time on a mound since working in the Caribbean World Series on February 6. John Farrell:
The progress he's made has been very positive. His arm strength looks to be solid at this point. In terms of pure arm strength, he's in a very good place. I think it's a matter of repetition.
Clay Buchholz has been working out with Tim Wakefield -- "trying to learn the ropes and stay behind somebody that knows what they're doing." Buchholz knows he may begin the season in Pawtucket:
It has a little to do with me, but it's what they want and what they feel. At the same time, I want to be here for a long time. They know what they're doing. ... I'm just going to try to make this squad and make the rotation coming out of spring training.
Buchholz allowed four runs in his first inning against the Twins on Sunday: "I was trying to throw too hard. When I got back out there, I threw some two-seamers and let the pitches work for me, instead of trying to make them work." He retired the side in that inning on eight pitches.

Wakefield is shooting for 200 innings.

Daisuke Matsuzaka's wife's current due date is March 19 -- the same day the team takes a charter flight out of Florida on their way to Japan. Dice will likely be in Boston for the baby's birth.

No comments: