September 21, 2011

Schilling: "I Don't Think Red Sox Will Make Playoffs";
Francona: "I Don't Give A Shit"

Curt Schilling, WEEI (Dennis & Callahan), September 20, 2011:
It's kind of crashing down around them. Somebody asked me last night about them making the playoffs and I said, "You know how I feel about these guys, you know how I feel about Terry ... I don't want them to make the playoffs because I don't think they have a chance to go anywhere." I don't think they're going to make it. I don't know that they have the horses. I hope they do, I want them to, but I think there's been a huge momentum shift and I can see Tampa winning out.
So it's better to miss the post-season entirely than be one of the eight playoff teams and take your chances?

Beyond pointing out that he says "I don't want them to make the playoffs" and then 10 seconds later says "I want them to" make the playoffs, I'll limit my comments to this: Schilling has changed quite a bit since his "Why Not Us?" days.

Terry Francona, after being told about Schilling's comments:
I don't give a shit.

12 comments:

mattymatty said...

I loved Curt when he was on the mound and anywhere short of that he wasn't really worth paying attention to.

That said, F that guy.

laura k said...

I agree with Francona.

FenFan said...

I agree with Francona.

Ditto

Jere said...

The "I don't want them to make the playoffs if they're playing like this" is just another buzz phrase people hear and then repeat as if it's their own opinion. It's trending right now much like the word trending is. Weird to hear a guy who's actually been in the clubhouse his whole life say it, though. Then again, the media taught Ortiz the word "panic" so I guess anything can happen.

allan said...

A quote like this:

"It's kind of crashing down around them. I don't think they're going to make it. I don't know that they have the horses. I hope they do, I want them to, but I think there's been a huge momentum shift and I can see Tampa winning out."

could have come pretty much word-for-word from a CHB column - you know the ones, where he acts like he's a fan like all of us, but more realistic, and he knows more about the team and what will happen, so don't get your hopes up.

When CHB spewed shit like this in 2004, I remember quite clearly how Schilling dealt with it.

Jim said...

Why would a Red Sox fan not want the team to make the play-offs?

Schilling does stuff for ESPN, plus whatever $$$ he can pick up solo. He'll say anything for air-time and web-hits. Then he'll go campaign for his Repub. binky. His only regret is not getting paid for his gas-baggery in his early days. People just rolled their eyes wishing he'd shut his mouth.

Zenslinger said...

I don't think it's likely we can win a series in the playoffs playing like this, and I think we can hardly complain if we don't make the playoffs. But it doesn't mean that I don't want to make the playoffs. It's conceivable we could start playing better.

laura k said...

In September 2007, as the Red Sox's lead got smaller and smaller (and really, more realistic, more what we might have expected), the doomers were out in force, the media was helping fans out onto the ledge - and we never fell out of first place!

When the Sox won the AL pennant, I posted a giant red I TOLD YOU SO on my blog.

I'll be happy to update that post.

laura k said...

I don't think it's likely we can win a series in the playoffs playing like this

I don't think so, either. But it wasn't likely we could win a playoff series playing the way we did in Games 1 through 3 of the 2004 ALCS. Unlikely things do happen.

BklynSoxFan said...

I think this is Schilling using reverse psychology.

Get Tito and his troops angry, and let them take it out on their opposition.

I know I maybe grasping at straws, but I need something to hold on to right now.

Michael Holloway said...

I think it's Schilling being a fan. If I said what he said in that ramble - who would care?

Unfortunately, it's the Great Curt Schilling - and apparently - you can never go home again.

laura k said...

I think this is Schilling using reverse psychology.

. . . I think it's Schilling being a fan.


It's Schilling being Schilling.