May 15, 2007

They Said It: Johnny Damon Version

New York Times:
The Yankees have fallen so far behind the Boston Red Sox that every game seems to take on urgency, even this early in the season. ...

The Yankees were playing the Seattle Mariners, but there was no escaping the shadow cast by the Red Sox from across the country. When Boston scored six runs in the ninth inning to win their game, some of the Yankees noticed on the scoreboard at Safeco Field.

"I looked up and I couldn't really believe it," Johnny Damon said. "I thought it was a mistake. ... If the Red Sox keep playing the way they are, nobody’s going to catch them."

8 comments:

Ron said...

That Damon comment made it into this SI piece too.

Nice to see Wakefield getting some media love in that article, even if the quotes about knuckleballs are all old ones I've seen elsewhere.

Gordon Edes has a piece about Beckett's finger and it's troubled history today. He doesn't mention the tear in August '06 that devine remembered though, and that seems important.

laura k said...

To Johnny Damon, we can only say: You are correct, sir.

Sean O said...

The previous thread has obviously died out a bit, but no mention of Dustin's incredible performance last night? He saved at least 2 hits with incredible range and poise, and he looks to be a tremendous asset for many years to come.

Maybe it was just my angle, but he was covering everything from the grass behind second to deep in the hole.

Impressive.

allan said...

DP was fabulous. Just when I was saying it seems like he's great going to his left -- which in my mmeory is the direction most of his diving stops have been -- he then dives to his right to rob another hit.

laura k said...

Dustin made some beautiful plays in Toronto, too.

Ron said...

My view of DP was great too (from my couch). He's really stepped up lately. I was a doubter and am impressed.

Jim said...

Yeah, I must admit that when I kept hearing about how DP had always improved at every level, I would think 'a bridge too far' based on what I was seeing. I really thought he was over-matched. Glad I'm wrong.

Jackie said...

To Johnny Damon, we can only say: You are correct, sir.

And we can also say: Neener, neener neener.