... Game 2, Tito? So soon? Ellsbury, the SI cover boy, starts Opening Day, gets one hit, makes one great catch, helps win a game and then takes a seat so Crisp can play the second game of the season? Is that the plan, to just let Coco and Jacoby take turns?Okay, Gerry, listen very carefully.
Someone has to explain this one.
(1) The Red Sox are playing halfway across the world.
(2) In a normal season, we'd still have a week remaining in spring training.
(3) Ellsbury banged his back against the center field wall in Game 1 and would soon be flying 10 hours to LA.
(4) Bench players need playing time to avoid getting rusty.
(5) It's only the second #@&*^%#-ing game of the season. Second!
Does any of that make sense to you? Or do you really truly that Tito should run his starting nine out there every single day regardless of the team's schedule, the need for days off, assorted injuries, whatever?
There are plenty of people who follow the Red Sox who remember when we had a manager that followed that dubious philosophy. I was under the assumption that you were one of them.