August 3, 2008

Chili Davis Remembers Pedro

From BP Unfiltered:
Ben Lindbergh: I wanted to mention that my favorite memory of watching you play was in September of '99, September 10, when Pedro Martinez pitched in that game --

Chili Davis: [Laughter]

Ben: -- struck out 17 Yankees ... and you homered off him somehow, and that was the only hit of the game.

Davis: Well, I'll tell you a story about that. You want to hear a story about that? ...
Pedro: 9-1-1-0-17, 120

My favourite fact about that game: Of Pedro's last 52 pitches, the Yankees hit exactly zero fair balls.

7 comments:

tim said...

One of the best, no doubt.

Anyway will be missing today's game as well...goin' to the beach!

laura k said...

I'll never forget that game. I was still a you-know-what then, but I loved Pedro. Watching him make the 1999 Yankees - not a bad team! - look like Little Leaguers was quite an experience.

laura k said...

Hey Tim, I saw in the end of last night's game thread that your exam went well. Yay! Apparently the key to success is watching a 12-game the night before?

tim said...

Heh, yeah I guess so...I didn't end up studying at all that night - long story behind that re: the prof hating me now and giving me shit marks... but I just crammed all day yesterday so wooo. Off to the beach now, then gotta start studying for #2 on Wednesday!

BklynSoxFan said...

Hands down the greatest game I have ever seen, either live or on TV.

allan said...

My least favourite fact about that game: We were supposed to have been there. The guy we were meeting outside the stadium with the tickets had to work late and by the time he got to the Bronx, we had given up and gone home. We watched the last five innings on TV. (Silver lining: I did have the VCR set.)

laura k said...

If it's any consolation (and I know it's not), the seats sucked.