December 8, 2006

Drew Explains Himself

JD Drew addressed how he is perceived:
I'm just quiet. ... I'm not a rah-rah guy and never have been. That's not who I am. I've never been [a] show boat, or thrown my helmet or my bat ... Maybe sometimes those types of players get the attention and I don't. I'm not going to try to be something I'm not.
Good.
Definitely there are characters in the game of baseball that people relate to because they show their emotional side. From my standpoint, that is something that could be worked on - outwardly expressing myself ... I'm going to try to improve that side of me in Boston.
Not so good. Now the media can chortle when Drew yells at an ump or kicks some dirt and tell us it's manufactured (like they do with Slappy) and we're idiots for thinking it's genuine. (Anyone wanna take a shot at writing Mazz's or Callahan's or CHB's future column?)

Daisuke Matsuzaka will visit Boston for the first time early next week. ... Back up catcher? The Sox are looking at Doug Mirabelli, Sandy Alomar Jr. and Alberto Castillo. ... The Orioles have an interest in Trot Nixon for one year.

Tony Massarotti on the Dice-K talks: "At this stage, there remains every probability that the Red Sox and Boras will get a deal done by Thursday. After all, we live in a deadline-driven world where people do things only when they have to." ... Hey, you kids, get off my lawn!!!

It sounds like Eric Gagne will decide today where he will pitch in 2007. Boston, Cleveland and Texas have all made offers.

Jim Donaldson sees The Big Picture: He writes that the Red Sox have spent a lot of money this winter, and if the team doesn't do well in 2007, the front office is going to look foolish. ... Interesting take.

7 comments:

laura k said...

Now the media can chortle when Drew yells at an ump or kicks some dirt and tell us it's manufactured (like they do with Slappy) and we're idiots for thinking it's genuine.

Don't worry about him manufacturing a personality. No one can make that stick while concentrating on their job at the same time. He's not paid to act, and if he's got an ounce of brains, he won't bother trying, despite whatever lip service he's paying to it now. He's got to respond somehow to the criticism, so he says this - then is just himself. That's my take (and hope), anyway.

Jere said...

I don't want Drew to try hard at looking like he cares. I want him to try hard on the field. That's where I'll be judging him.

thatdietcokegirl said...

he reminds me of bill mueller. all cool and calm like that. i hope he stays that way.

trot going to the orioles would be kinda nice in a way. him and kev on the same team, hehe :)

laura k said...

I'm going to judge him on how dirty his cap gets.

thatdietcokegirl said...

^^haha

laura k said...

Jere, that's all I meant: ha ha. Nothing more.

thatdietcokegirl said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.