August 14, 2007

Tito Talks

Francona, on panic:
You can't just go changing your lineup because you lost a couple of games in the eighth inning. All that happened is, we didn't win a couple of games. ... Perspective is a tough thing to have when you lose, but when you lose your perspective, as a manager, you can make some really big mistakes. I don't want to do that.
On Gagne:
[T]he best thing I can do is not run from him ... We're going to continue to use him just like we see his role and hope he doesn't give up runs.
Coco Crisp:
It's hard to explain, but my legs are so sore that it's hard to stretch without it hurting. It's not an injury. I'm just sick. If I wasn't sick, I wouldn't need any time off. I can play. ... I'm not going to go out there and die. ... Could I play at 100 percent? Probably not. There's a big difference, especially when everybody who's at this level is extremely good.
In his last 48 games, Crisp is hitting .337 (60-for-178), though just .213 (13-for-61) in his last 17.

Gordon Edes reports that on Sunday, Orioles broadcaster Joe Angel referred to Fenway Park as "basically a toilet". Was Angel lashing out after having to hear so many Red Sox fans at Camden Yards last weekend? Honestly, I'm surprised any fans could be heard over the deafening music and commercials the Orioles insist on blasting all game long.

Meanwhile, Gary Matthews Jr. of the Angels assured himself of a warm welcome on Friday when he described Red Sox fans are loud, drunk and racist. Plus: "Yankee fans ... have a little more class than Boston fans. At least in New York they appreciate guys who play the game hard ... In Boston, they just smack you for three straight days."

1 comment:

BklynSoxFan said...

Get ready for the "steroid" chants, Gary.

It might be wise for him to invest in a pair of earplugs this weekend.