March 31, 2006

No Bigger Quest Since King Arthur's Days

Kelsie Smith of the Globe has an excellent feature on Bill James ("I work by obsession rather than by discipline"). The Globe also printed most of John Henry's initial email (August 2002) to James. In part:
We're engaged in this epic, long-term battle/saga with the New York Yankees. We are determined to achieve what no long-suffering, die-hard Red Sox fan believes can actually happen. Wherever we go across the nation, Red Sox fans come out in large numbers. They're all waiting to be delivered. It's not an exaggeration. Short of war, there has not been a bigger quest since King Arthur's days. We've joined together, we're having a lot of fun and it's just beginning here.

Perhaps there is a way to fulfill your mission in baseball beyond the significant achievements you have already attained.
Excellent sales pitch, since James insists that Kansas City fans hate the Yankees more than Red Sox fans.

Dustan Mohr will report to Pawtucket: "I want to be a Red Sox. I intend to be a Red Sox. I don't expect to be in Pawtucket all year or for a lengthy amount of time." ... Infield prospect Jed Lowrie will be writing an online journal of his 2006 season. ... Click here for the Globe's baseball preview section, with several articles on how the team evaluates young players and a look at many of its top prospects.

Matt Clement's start on Tuesday wasn't pretty (5.1-6-6-3-6), but he's very optimistic: "To me, that was the first time I thought I threw like I want to throw since I've been in a Red Sox uniform. I was very happy. I threw my sinker and slider, and I can't remember throwing too many bad sinkers the whole night, and commanding it to right-handers ... I'm a different pitcher than I was at any point last year."

Bronson Arroyo pitched seven shutout innings against the Sox yesterday, allowing only three hits and retiring 16 straight batters at one point. He received a loud and lengthy ovation from the Sox fans at City of Palms Park. Tim Wakefield's line in the game: 4-2-1-1-3. He finished the spring with a 2.50 ERA and 14 strikeouts in 18 innings.

Toronto infielders Aaron Hill and Russ Adams were married this week -- sort of.

No comments: