February 8, 2008

Curt Comments Re Shoulder

Curt Schilling has a post upon his blog: "My Shoulder":
At the time we negotiated the 2008 contract I passed all physical exams and testing, as well as the MRI the club required me to take. I knew in my heart of hearts that the extra time I was giving my arm to rest this winter would in fact be the cure for what I went through the entire 2007 season. I had a strong desire to not have to go through multiple cortisone injections in my shoulder for another year. ...

Things have changed since then and I contacted the team early last month with concerns and we've been working diligently to resolve them.

There have been disagreements these past few weeks in an effort to provide me with a solution that would allow me to pitch as much as possible during the 2008 season. At no time did I ever consider taking a course of action against the clubs wishes. In the end, regardless of who agreed with whom, I have chosen the clubs course of action ...

Please understand that a lot of what has been reported is not true. When the club feels it's appropriate to further discuss the details of this issue publicly I will elaborate but I need to make it clear that Dr Morgan did NOT diagnose me with a tear of the rotator cuff at any time during this process, nor did he recommend rotator cuff surgery.
He also posted to SoSH last night, in this exchange:
dcmissle, 9:10 PM:
This appears to clear up more than one question that occurred to me today, including the purported attempt to void the contract. According to this, there was no such attempt, but rather a threat to do so if Schilling proceeded to season-ending surgery -- a threat that strained relations and explains the paucity of comments by both sides: link ...

Gehrig38, 10:33 PM:
Apologies for not being able to elaborate but suffice to say things will work their way out as time rolls along. The comment above the link is almost totally accurate but I never threatened to have 'season ending' surgery.
Two other SoSH comments:
941827, 12:08 AM:
So G38 never preferred season-ending surgery -- what he preferred was surgery that would, according to his doctor, allow him to pitch after the ASB without relying on cortisone, etc. Unfortunately, the doctors of the Sox and Mets both think surgery would end Schill's season, so he's going to rehab instead.

Dan Murfman, 8:49 AM: Curt's doctor was just on 'EEI with D&C. He strongly believes if surgery is not done he will never pitch again. And says if the surgery was done when he proposed it [about 10 days ago] he might have been back by the All Star game. But he says he's not sure even if the surgery is done that he will pitch again.

7 comments:

The Bottomline said...

After hours of WEEI, I'm wondering why Schilling and the Sox don't want to do the surgery ASAP.

Sounds to me like Curt's agreeing with the Sox doctor so he get's his paycheck.

I'll put money down right now that Schilling does not throw a pitch in 2008... unfortunately.

Go Buccholz!

Benjamin said...

Hopefully with the extra exposure, people will learn how to spell Buchholz's name.

Amy said...

I am a bit confused as to which of the three doctors said what. Who recommended surgery? Was it Morgan? Was it the third opinion? I assume it was not the team doctor.

It sounds like at best we will get a very very short season out of Schilling and perhaps not a very good one either.

I sure am glad that the Sox kept Lester and Buchholz, though perhaps now we need Santana more than we thought we did.

allan said...

SoSH has a program that automatically replaces any poster's misspelling of Buchholz's last name with "I AM AN IDIOT".

:>)

allan said...

Morgan said surgery.
Red Sox did not.
The Mets doc -- the arbitrator (of sorts) -- said no surgery.
So the parties are going with that.

Amy said...

Thanks, Allan. Now Schilling's post makes more sense. Obviously he would have preferred to go with surgery since he trusts Morgan above all. But doing so would have cost him the contract, or so it seems.

9casey said...

Amy said...
Thanks, Allan. Now Schilling's post makes more sense. Obviously he would have preferred to go with surgery since he trusts Morgan above all. But doing so would have cost him the contract, or so it seems.


You wonder if they knew this earlier if Ellsbury and or Lester would be Twins right now?