November 18, 2008

Pedroia Left Off One Writer's Ballot

Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News left Dustin Pedroia off his ballot for AL MVP.

Grant's explanation:
I had him on my ballot in some scenarios as high as No. 1 late into September. When I looked at the numbers that to me mattered most, OPS and batting average with runners in scoring position, he just didn't stack up with Youkilis at all. He was a laggard behind the others who had great years in the American League. Is it an error of omission that he's left of my ballot entirely? You could say that. ...

I just thought that Sizemore and Pena were at least the equal of Dustin. When it got down to it, the last place on my ballot was Pedroia or Pena, Pedroia or Pena. I don't have a guy from the Rays on my ballot and they won 97 games. I was going to vote to make sure Carlos Pena got recognized. I'm not afraid to say I was wrong. I have no issue with Dustin winning.
Grant admits that Pedroia was his #1 choice for MVP "late into September" -- yet by September 28 -- the end of the regular season -- he was off the ballot!

Here are Grant's two MVP ballots:
September 21    September 28
Youkilis Youkilis
Morneau FRodriguez
FRodriguez Morneau
Pedroia Hamilton
Hamilton Quentin
Quentin ARodriguez
ARodriguez Lee
Lee Mauer
Mauer Sizemore
Sizemore Pena
So Grant flip-flopped Morneau and Frod, dropped FY, and stuck Pena on at the end.

***

Extra WTF?: Jason Bartlett (.286/.329/.361, 85 OPS+) received a fifth-place vote.

2 comments:

FenFan said...

Is this the same writer that left Pedro Martinez off his ballot in 1999 because pitchers should not win MVP awards? (I already know the answer.)

Again, I look to the fact that, after Ramirez was traded, Tito put FY in the four spot and Little Man tore the cover off the ball. THAT'S value...

allan said...

Is this the same writer that left Pedro Martinez off his ballot in 1999 because pitchers should not win MVP awards? (I already know the answer.)

Well, I'm going to answer the Q anyway!

No. That was George "Dock Rope" King of the New York Post. He made his statement about how pitchers should not be considered for the MVP (for which he should have had his membership revoked) one year after he put David Wells and Rick Helling on his MVP ballot (1998).