August 20, 2020

Reds Suspend Veteran Announcer After He Uses Homophobic Slur On Air; He Departs Booth Mid-Game, But Not Before Calling A Home Run During His Apology

The Reds have suspended veteran announcer Thom Brennaman after his use of a homophobic slur went out over the air during the first game of a Wednesday doubleheader in Kansas City.

The Fox Sports Ohio feed had returned from a commercial break several seconds before Brennaman (unaware he was on the air) said the phrase "one of the fag capitals of the world". A few seconds later, he read a promo before the top of the seventh. It is unclear what Brennaman was referring to.
After the Reds learned of the statement, presumably from videos posted on social media, they took Brennaman off the broadcast in the fifth inning of the second game and released this statement:
The Cincinnati Reds organization is devastated by the horrific, homophobic remark made this evening by broadcaster Thom Brennaman. He was pulled off the air, and effective immediately was suspended from doing Reds broadcasts. We will be addressing our broadcasting team in the coming days. In no way does this incident represent our players, coaches, organization, or our fans. We share our sincerest apologies to the LGBTQ+ community in Cincinnati, Kansas City, all across this country, and beyond. The Reds embrace a zero-tolerance policy for bias or discrimination of any kind, and we are truly sorry to anyone who has been offended.
Brennaman apologized in the top of the fifth of Game 2 before leaving the booth.
I made a comment earlier tonight that I guess went out over the air that I am deeply ashamed of. If I have hurt anyone out there, I can't tell you how much I say from the bottom of my heart, I'm so very, very sorry. I pride myself and think of myself as man of faith [Nick Castellanos of the Reds hits a home run!] I made a comment earlier tonight that I guess went out over the air that I am deeply ashamed of. If I hurt anyone out there, I can't tell you how much I say from the bottom of my heart, I am very, very sorry. ... I don't know if I'll be putting on this headset again. I don't know if it's gonna be for the Reds, I don't know if it's gonna be for my bosses at FOX. I want to apologize for the people who sign my paycheck, for the Reds, for FOX Sports Ohio, for the people I work with or anybody that I've offended tonight. I can't begin to tell you how deeply sorry I am. That is not who I am. It never has been. And I'd like to think maybe I could have some people that could back that up. I am very, very sorry and I beg for your forgiveness.
"That is not who I am." Brennaman felt comfortable using the slur in casual conversation with the broadcast crew and/or his booth partners. And with a actual microphone in front of his mouth with the game coming out of a commercial break. Of course, it's who he is.

And yet again, we hear the "if I hurt anyone" non-apology apology. ... So if it can be confirmed that no one who heard the slur was hurt or offended, then what, Thom? You reserve the right to rescind your apology?

Reds pitchers Amir Garrett and Matt Bowman tweeted their support for the LBGTQ+ community.

Garrett (who has two beautiful dogs) wrote:
To the LGBTQ community just know I am with you, and whoever is against you, is against me. I'm sorry for what was said today.
Bowman said:
LGBTQ+ community, as a member of the Reds organization, I am so sorry for the way you were marginalized tonight. There will always be a place for you in the baseball community and we are so happy to have you here.
Announcers saying stupid (and bigoted) things is nothing new, but two players promptly posting unquestioning support for LGBTQ+ people (and also apologizing on behalf of their team) is something I don't think we would have seen even five years ago.

No comments: