April 14, 2004

Sticking To The Script. Mike Allen, Washington Post: Mr. President, why are you and the vice president insisting on appearing together before the 9-11 commission? ...

Bush: ... because the 9-11 commission wants to ask us questions, that's why we're meeting. And I look forward to meeting with them and answering their questions.

Allen: I was asking why you're appearing together, rather than separately, which was their request.

Bush: Because it's a good chance for both of us to answer questions that the 9-11 commission is looking forward to asking us. And I'm looking forward to answering them. ... I've got some must-calls. I'm sorry.

Also:

Q: In the last campaign, you were asked a question about the biggest mistake you'd made in your life, and you used to like to joke that it was trading Sammy Sosa. ... After 9-11, what would your biggest mistake be, would you say, and what lessons have learned from it?

Bush: I wish you'd have given me this written question ahead of time so I could plan for it. ... You know, I just -- I'm sure something will pop into my head here in the midst of this press conference, with all the pressure of trying to come up with answer, but it hadn't yet. ... I hope -- I don't want to sound like I have made no mistakes. I'm confident I have. I just haven't -- you just put me under the spot here, and maybe I'm not as quick on my feet as I should be in coming up with one.

No comments: