April 6, 2007

Dice-K: First Start "Surprisingly Normal" -- Gerry Callahan Unsurprisingly Moronic

Daisuke Matsuzaka:
I can't say that my overall condition was that great today. But I think the role of the starting pitcher is to set up the game and give my teammates an opportunity to win. I feel I was able to do that today, so I'm satisfied. Up to now, given all the expectations that have surrounded me, I felt happy about those expectations, at the same time feeling like they were a little extreme. Speaking for myself and all the fans that have supported me here, it's great that I was able to come out here and record a victory in my first start.

It was really such a normal day for me. I think when I look back, my first start at Koshien [high school tournament], there's definitely something emotional about that day. As for today, it's a day I've been waiting for a long time, but given that fact, it felt surprisingly normal.
David Ortiz:
Unbelievable. He's so under control that he reminds me of Pedro when he's out there doing his thing. It doesn't matter what the situation is — he always looks like he's in control.
Matsuzaka was the first Red Sox rookie to win his major-league debut since Juan Pena (Angels, May 8, 1999). His 10 strikeouts were the most by a Boston rookie since Don Aase fanned 11 Brewers on July 26, 1977.

Coco Crisp will wear Jackie Robinson's #42 when the Red Sox play on April 15. Ken Griffey Jr. recently asked Bud Selig if he could wear #42 for the 60th anniversary of baseball finally relenting and allowing black players on the field. Selig decided to make that option available for one person on each team. Crisp:
It definitely means a lot to me. I feel honored. It's going to be a great day for me. It's pretty cool, thanks to Griffey speaking up.
Jon Lester pitched four scoreless innings for Greenville (A) last night, allowing only two hits and hitting 96 mph at one point.

Seeen at Fire Joe Morgan: WEEI's Gerry Callahan was hammering JD Drew for walking in the first inning of the first game of the season. FJM's Junior explains:
J.D. Drew Attacked For Getting On Base
Of course, this makes sense because it happened on sports radio, a place where no one is supposed to make sense -- you're just supposed to shout at increasing volumes and play funny car horn sound effects. Specifically, it was on WEEI, and even more specifically, it was from the mouth of Gerry Callahan, who, like 97% of the world, hates Mr. J.D. Drew because he's not a "gamer." He doesn't "game," he doesn't have any "fire," and he certainly doesn't bring any "lunch pails" to "work" at his "blue-collar" "job" of being a "baseball" player.

Seriously. In a game where a million people did a million shitty things for the Red Sox, Callahan sticks it to Drew for taking a walk in the first inning.
Amazing. I want to know if he also blames Drew for "clogging up the bases".

3 comments:

Jim said...

I've heard this Callahan rant a couple of times and the astonishing thing (apart from the claim) is that he references Grady Little as his source. That Grady used to complain last year that Drew would never expand his strike zone with guys on base. Grady as your expert to prove a point? Jesus. The rational Ger also "warns" us that this is going to be a "huge problem."

allan said...

So we have someone like Ted Williams on one side and someone with shit for brains on the other.

I wonder which person makes the most sense when it comes to hitting?

Hmmmmmmmmmm ........

Jim said...

I should have added that I've heard Callahan frequently say how much he likes Julio Lugo and how we're all going to like him. This would be the same Mr. Lugo whom Grady felt was better served riding the pine for the Dodgers' stretch run. If you can get past Callahan's frequent bigoted, fascist rants, there are occasional nuggets of humour. Unintentional, of course.