August 3, 2018

The Athletic: An Oral History Of The Best Inning Of The Red Sox Season

Chad Jennings, The Athletic:
Is it​ considered history if it happened​ last​ night? ...

Dennis Eckersley (NESN broadcaster): "They can't get CC out of here fast enough, I think." ...

Paul O'Neil (YES Network broadcaster): "A lot of times you hear that old remark that it's the whole war. It's the whole battle. And tonight is the battle. I mean, you've got to win this game. You scored early, you've got to win this game. If you have to empty your bullpen to win it, that's what you have to do." ...

[Jonathan] Holder: "When I caught the ball and I looked, [Jackie Bradley's] back was [to] home. He was taking steps toward third. I tried to get rid of it as quick as possible and go back up the play."

Bradley: "I took maybe one, two steps by the time he turned around. ... I didn't know what the third baseman was going to do. I didn't turn around and find out." ...

Jerry Remy (NESN broadcaster): "How in the world did Jackie Bradley end up safe on this play?" ...

Steve Pearce (Red Sox first baseman): "The slide that Jackie made kind of turned everything around and we felt the crowd sort of get into it." ...

Remy: "See if Benintendi keeps pressure on by stealing second base." ...

[Aaron] Boone: "When [Holder] comes set, he's one of those guys who's blind to what he's seeing [at first base], so he's listening. Loud building. Just that much [noise], too late reacting." ...

Eckersley: "[Holder] was frozen on the mound. He couldn't get his foot off the rubber."

Michael Kay (YES Network broadcaster): "Holder completely napping on the mound." ...

[Eduardo] Nunez: "We tried to put some pressure on them. ... We trust each other. If you don't pitch to me, the guy behind me, I trust him."

Holder: "I didn't have my stuff." ...

David Cone (YES Network broadcaster): "Chad Green, in my opinion, a little late to get this call [from the bullpen] as six runs have scored without an out." ...

O'Brien: "Because of this onslaught by Boston, this drubbing by Boston, Cessa has to come into the ballgame. They were hoping to hold him to start on Saturday against [Nathan] Eovaldi, but that's not going to happen." ...

Cone: "If you're in that [Yankees] dugout, you're not happy."

No comments: