December 12, 2018

With Tim Neverett Out Of A Job, Maybe Dave O'Brien Will Return To Radio (... He Posted With His Heart Full Of Hope)

Red Sox broadcaster Tim Neverett will not be back in the radio booth in 2019. Last June, WEEI executives told him he might want to start polishing up his resume. Neverett hoped the situation would improve, but it did not.
I chose to let my contract expire rather than go back and work for them. The Red Sox were very supportive of me during a very difficult year. They wanted me to return. It had nothing to with the Red Sox.
Neverett shared the booth with Joe Castiglione for three seasons.

The Globe stated there were "industry rumors about possible changes all season long. One, which multiple sources have said was a genuine consideration, had WEEI dropping the concept of a conventional radio baseball broadcast to make the call of the game sound more like a talk show." Good lord, that sounds dreadful.

Could Neverett's departure pave the way for Dave "Swifty" O'Brien to (get off my TV and) return to the radio realm?

5 comments:

FenFan said...

I really had no issue with Neverett; I thought he paired well with Castiglione in the booth. Radio has always been my preferred medium for listening to these games, probably because I listened to so many as a kid when Joe was paired with Ken Coleman.

I sincerely doubt O'Brien is going to leave the NESN booth and return to WEEI, but I guess miracles do happen...

laura k said...

I really had no issue with Neverett; I thought he paired well with Castiglione in the booth.

Same here. They've been the best duo of recent times.

Radio has always been my preferred medium for listening to these games

Me too, although for no reason except I love baseball on the radio. I like having the game on TV with the radio audio, especially now that they're synced, without delays. Also, Allan complains less, a bonus for me.

FenFan said...

I like having the game on TV with the radio audio, especially now that they're synced, without delays.

I'm going to have to check next season whether that works here!

Also, Allan complains less, a bonus for me.

His complaints are the fodder for this blog! :D

allan said...

Also, Allan complains less, a bonus for me

"Less" is a relative term, of course.

allan said...

We cannot sync radio with TV with our Apple device, only the Roku. And the picture quality and connection is far better with the Apple. So that leads to more anti-NESN posts!

Actually, no ... what O'Brien says on the air leads to more anti-NESN posts.