December 10, 2011

Bard Will Be Prepped As A Starter In Camp, With Role To Be Determined In March

Daniel Bard has said he would rather be a starter pitcher and he may get his wish in 2012. Bobby Valentine said on Saturday that Bard, who was believed to be a shoo-in for the closer's spot after Jonathan Papelbon left for Philadelphia, will be stretched out like a starter in Fort Myers.
He's going to be penciled in to be one of those guys who works going from his bullpen to pitching two innings to pitching four innings to pitching six innings.

Whenever we get to that plateau, with the pitching coach I'll hopefully have by my side soon, and all the members of the staff and front office. We'll have to make a determination after that 18-20 inning mark as to where he will be during the season. I told him to prepare to be a starter and if that, in fact, does not happen to be ready and willing to be our closer.
Valentine also clarified what he meant when he said he "hated" the Yankees.
Part of my history is that I tried to share the city as the New York Mets manager with the New York Yankees. You can imagine what that's like. And now, I have to fight them for the top of the American League East. I don't know, maybe the H-word is too tough. They made me miserable many a night and I hope to make them miserable many a night.

2 comments:

allan said...

And the news comes right as Manny is reinstated from the voluntary retired list. Dismissed as coincedence?

FenFan said...

I can see Manny as a closer... :-)