August 3, 2008

Manny Hits 1st Homer For Dodgers

Manny Ramirez hit his first Dodger home run last night, a first-inning two-run shot to center off Yusmeiro Petit. It was #511, tying Mel Ott for 22nd on the all-time list.

Ken Gurnick relays how Manny got his uniform number, from 24 to 28 to 34 to 66 to 11 to 99 to 28: But "by that time, the marketing department had already begun churning out Manny gear with 99 on the back. So, 99 it is."

Ramirez says he already feels at home in Los Angeles:
I like it here. I'm looking for peace. I want to stay here. ... After the game [Friday night], I went out to dinner and nobody bothers you. In Boston, you go from the stadium straight home. ... Some people recognized me, said congratulations, that's it. ... I've got nothing against Boston, but this is what I'm looking for.
Manny disagreed with suggestions that he had not hustled on Chris Burke's triple:
I can't take that. What do you think I am, [Juan] Pierre? I'm not that fast. I'm 5.3 to first base, remember?
Extra Bases has a ton of Manny links from both coasts.

4 comments:

nixon33 said...

he CRUSHED it.
i had a weird reaction, out of habit i stood up all excited but the empty feeling soon washed over me that it wasnt a 2 run HR for the sox (yes i know Bay hit a 3 run HR last night). then i found myself trying to figure out where it would have "landed" at fenway. Straight away bleachers, or the camera well. what a line drive shot.

Rob said...

Manny is still someone I'd like to hang out with.

allan said...

Manny would be a fun date. That's for sure.

laura k said...

I can't take that. What do you think I am, [Juan] Pierre? I'm not that fast. I'm 5.3 to first base, remember?

He's so funny. I think I'll follow his career for the duration.