March 22, 2005

ALCS 2: Yankees 3, Red Sox 1

As I asked at the time, "Where are the goddamn bats?" In the first six innings of Games 1 and 2, the Red Sox were a combined 1-for-37.

Boston got a runner to third with two outs in the third, but Lieber then set down the next 11 batters, including a 16-pitch battle with Damon, who didn't get the ball out of the infield in either game.

Pedro Martinez over came a shaky first inning -- walking Jeter on four pitches (he promptly stole second), hitting Rodriguez (really grazing his hands) and allowing a hard-hit single by Sheffield. New York held that 1-0 lead until Olerud hit a line drive over the short right field wall, making it 3-0.

Boston had the tying run at the plate several times against Gordon and Rivera. Nixon started the 8th with a single. Gordon came in and Varitek doubled to deep right-center. Nixon held at third, tying runs on, no one out. Cabrera grounded out to shortstop. Nixon scored, but Varitek had to hold at second. It was a poor play from O-Cab, since the pitch could have been hit to the other side, which would have moved the runner to third. Mueller grounded to second, moving Varitek to third, but Rivera got Damon looking at a 2-2 pitch that split the heart of the plate to end the rally.

In the 9th, Manny doubled with one out, but Ortiz fanned on three pitches (all at 95) and Millar struck out on five (the last one hitting 96).

Hacker: In Game 1, Nixon saw six pitches in four AB. He saw seven pitches in three trips in Game 2.

Some media quotes re Curt: "Schilling needs surgery on his injured right ankle, but the Red Sox hope he will still be able to pitch Game 5 of the AL championship series Sunday. ... The Red Sox hope a better brace will help, but if not, Schilling's season will be over. ... Schilling: 'If I can't go out there with something better than I had (last night), I'm not going back out there. ... I won't take the ball again.'"

So the teams head to Boston for Game 3. Will I watch the whole thing -- all 4:20? ... I remember along about the 7th inning last October, when it was 17-6 and midnight crept closer, asking myself why I was still watching and scoring? At the time, I'm sure I told myself, "That's what a fan does."

***

Thanks to Zack Albert at USAToday for the link (very bottom of thepage).

No comments: