July 21, 2011

Pedro Martinez Likes Sandra Bullock - A Lot

Back in 2001, Jeff Horrigan of the Herald interviewed Pedro Martinez for Sports Illustrated For Kids.
SIFK: Favorite color?

Pedro: Green.

SIFK: Favorite book?

Pedro: Whatever.

SIFK: Favorite actress?

Pedro: Sandra Bullock.

SIFK: Secret ambition?

Pedro: I would like to fuck Sandra Bullock.
When Martinez was reminded that the interview was for a children's magazine, he amended his answer:
I would like to sleep with Sandra Bullock.
Five years later (2006), Pedro spoke with Dave Buscema of the Times Herald-Record (Hudson Valley, New York):
Q: What's your favorite movie?

Pedro: Any movie that has Sandra Bullock in it.

Q: Oh, yeah? Big Sandra Bullock fan?

Pedro: Probably her biggest fan.

Q: Too bad you weren't here a few years ago, they did that scene at Shea for a movie, Piazza was in a scene with her.

Pedro: Really?

Q: Yeah, "Two Weeks Notice". You ever see that one?

Pedro: No.

Q: Yeah, they did a scene at Shea, Piazza did a scene with her.

Pedro: Lucky him!

Q: He didn't sound like he felt too lucky. He said it took too long.

Pedro: Really? Well, I'll spend ... I know my wife is ...

Q: You'd better be careful ...

Pedro: Yeah, my wife will be really jealous if I say what I meant to say. ...

Q: Who are three people you'd like to take to dinner?

Pedro: They have to be someone else, other than you know?

Q: Yes.

Pedro: Sandra would be one of them. (Laughs) I would like to spend some time with [Claude] Osteen, the pitcher from Texas. I like the way he pitches and the way he talks about the Lord. ... The other person would probably be ... someone from politics, would probably be Hillary Clinton. She'd be interesting. ...
Example
Finally, there is this exchange during an August 2010 interview:
Dayn Perry: Do you miss Dan Shaughnessy?

Pedro Martinez: No, no, no. That's the only thing I don't miss about Boston. I'm pretty sure other players feel that way, too.

9 comments:

Rob said...

Can't... stop... laughing...

Thank you for this. So hilarious! Pedro is awesome.

Ruben (Red Sox Nation - Alberta) said...

I'd heard about fondness for Bullock previously, but I love the line about Shaughnessy,

Jere said...

"How can I live the rest of my life knowing I coulda been with Marisa Tomei??"

How come his favorite book is whatever? I mean gimme Green Eggs n Ham at least!

allan said...

They have to be someone else, other than you know?

This really cracks me up! (Though it could be punctuated a bit better.)

Speaking of books, why is there no bio of Pedro? Tons of lesser, duller players have bios.

johngoldfine said...

Pedro: I would like to fuck Sandra Bullock.
When Martinez was reminded that the interview was for a children's magazine, he amended his answer:

I would like to sleep with Sandra Bullock.


Fancy verbal footwork there!

Pretty funny!

laura k said...

Ha ha ha, this is great. I used to write for SI for Kids, I remember when they ran the Pedro piece.

It would be even more hilarious if someone slipped it back in before it went to press.

FenFan said...

Too funny! I miss Pedro. Always entertaining (oh, and a damn good ballplayer, too!).

RedSoxDiehard said...

Love love love Pedro!

San Francisco Red Sox Fan said...

I MISS PEDRO!!!